In Denmark, many water utilities are using PE pipes for almost all of their new installations, and AVK gate valves with PE pipe ends are an integrated part of fully welded distribution networks covering many supply areas.
Advantages of PE pipes
"PE pipes are easier to handle and in general come in a higher quality than e.g. cast iron and PVC pipes. You do not need to handle large bolts and there are no mechanical joints to give rise to leakage", representatives from the two utilities say.
In urban areas, pipes and valves are assembled using electro welding. On longer distances, butt welding allows for the pipes to be welded above ground rather than in the trench, for easy installation.
Unique features of AVK gate valves with PE pipe ends
- Available for outside pipe diameters up to 630 mm (for water)
- Valve/pipe connection has no bolts and is stronger than the PE pipe itself
- Possibility to obtain pipe approval that covers the entire network including valves, since all standard PE pipes can be mounted on the valve
- Extra-long pipe ends that leave room for an additional weld
- Renowned AVK valve design